Jack was employed into service for the East India Trading Company and was given command of the Wicked Wench. However, after he set free a cargo of slaves, his employer, Cutler Beckett, had Jack branded as a pirate and the Wench set aflame and sunk. After failing to rescue the Wench, Sparrow struck a bargain with the ghostly captain of the Flying Dutchman, Davy Jones, to resurrect his beloved vessel. Jones returned the ship to Jack in near perfect condition except for the permanently charred hull. This prompted Jack to rename her the Black Pearl.
I DIDN’T KNOW THIS WHAT.
danged sympathetic fictional pirates and their refusal to engage in the slave trade, I’ll tell you what
well hot damn.
Really? Interesting! Too bad most Hollyweird Producers don’t get that you can’t add depth of context with CGI. Story? Matters.
Well, fuck me! Now this just makes me upset that this wasn’t mentioned in the movies, yo.
They only made reference to it in that blink-and-you’ll-miss-it scene in the gifset (I’m brainfarting on whether it was DMC or AWE). There were YA books that were actually pretty decently written and added a lot of interesting backstory, that’s where you find out the story behind Jack’s falling out with Beckett and how he became a pirate.
Jack is also a mixed race man of color but they don’t get into that in the movies either except for a gross shrunken head joke in At World’s End that his dad made.
- thepotternerdd likes this
- tamkent reblogged this from gordonlaughingalonewithcombine
- tamkent likes this
- suchpunk likes this
- iwantyourvagina reblogged this from gaurdian9sunshine
- gaurdian9sunshine likes this
- gaurdian9sunshine reblogged this from saulkarath
- fez-parade reblogged this from bojangletitties
- wildred74 likes this
- timmytostada likes this
- indrahand reblogged this from nekisahloth
- the-prophet-of-puppets likes this
- undefinablechimera reblogged this from itwasarobotheeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaad
- spooky-kashimayuu reblogged this from i-accidently-everything
- spooky-kashimayuu likes this
- dslepatra1 likes this
- i-accidently-everything reblogged this from mischievousgrim and added:
- mischievousgrim reblogged this from gordonlaughingalonewithcombine
- sailormoonpies reblogged this from itwasarobotheeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaad
- vesperregina likes this
- nekisahloth reblogged this from stratosphericstrawberryslimexlr
- csemmens07 reblogged this from preciselyvague
- csemmens07 likes this
- dragonmoose likes this
- passionate-slytherin reblogged this from you-cant-stop-the-moriparty
- cheese135 reblogged this from pinestwinsontheenterprise
- alexaetc likes this
- randomfemenglish3 likes this
- randomfemenglish3 reblogged this from itwasarobotheeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaad
- murnsa reblogged this from championofallregions
- universeinadropofrain likes this
- hollywoodssoul reblogged this from poupon
- preciselyvague reblogged this from rrrrrilesssss
- fidelisadmortem reblogged this from fidelisadmortem
- radiujuu reblogged this from goldenskiesahead
- radiujuu likes this
- the-good-old-fashioned-villain54 likes this
- goldenskiesahead reblogged this from davidsnewreality
- emgray reblogged this from joey-doesnt-share-food
- kerrikavana likes this
- themaskedmuffinbandit reblogged this from gordonlaughingalonewithcombine
- fallingsoftlyandslowly reblogged this from nerds-are-king
- fallingsoftlyandslowly likes this
- armandodelporfuckingtillo reblogged this from unclegumdrop
- kmfgirl reblogged this from dreaming-of-the-tardis-jerk
- chipsahoyforyaboi reblogged this from voltic-overload
- chipsahoyforyaboi likes this
- stormieweather0824 likes this
- watchingyoufallapart likes this
- rinkashigin reblogged this from tk9336