Jack was employed into service for the East India Trading Company and was given command of the Wicked Wench. However, after he set free a cargo of slaves, his employer, Cutler Beckett, had Jack branded as a pirate and the Wench set aflame and sunk. After failing to rescue the Wench, Sparrow struck a bargain with the ghostly captain of the Flying Dutchman, Davy Jones, to resurrect his beloved vessel. Jones returned the ship to Jack in near perfect condition except for the permanently charred hull. This prompted Jack to rename her the Black Pearl.
I DIDN’T KNOW THIS WHAT.
danged sympathetic fictional pirates and their refusal to engage in the slave trade, I’ll tell you what
well hot damn.
Really? Interesting! Too bad most Hollyweird Producers don’t get that you can’t add depth of context with CGI. Story? Matters.
Well, fuck me! Now this just makes me upset that this wasn’t mentioned in the movies, yo.
They only made reference to it in that blink-and-you’ll-miss-it scene in the gifset (I’m brainfarting on whether it was DMC or AWE). There were YA books that were actually pretty decently written and added a lot of interesting backstory, that’s where you find out the story behind Jack’s falling out with Beckett and how he became a pirate.
Jack is also a mixed race man of color but they don’t get into that in the movies either except for a gross shrunken head joke in At World’s End that his dad made.
- alll-the-feels likes this
- somuchawkwerd reblogged this from oh-captain-my-captain-jack
- musicisawesome20 reblogged this from kriddyg
- musicisawesome20 likes this
- kriddyg reblogged this from swim-with-our-clothes-on
- siriuslymymischiefismanaged reblogged this from howdilly-doodily
- bringme-some-pie reblogged this from a-study-in-gay
- cyntrashades reblogged this from firefox26
- mapaularussia likes this
- howdilly-doodily reblogged this from ijustwanttohugdavidtennant
- loscarruseles1 likes this
- tg-maru reblogged this from jdlimon92
- x-live--laugh--love-x reblogged this from shadeofdarkness
- moonshoesnikki reblogged this from shadeofdarkness
- shadeofdarkness reblogged this from harrysurfinpotter
- thechopinist likes this
- whatawastelittlelou reblogged this from bridgetwithahintofmadness
- bellaciaociaociao likes this
- cowgirl-casanova reblogged this from huggedhemmo
- myfandomlifestyle reblogged this from thescienceofjohnlock
- morkasteskogar reblogged this from punkrockpancakes
- punkrockpancakes reblogged this from waytoomuchinformation
- sunrisepwnz reblogged this from theblogofeternalstench
- seasonalabominablesnowman likes this
- epperly likes this
- ladymuggins reblogged this from oh-captain-my-captain-jack
- we-can-all-be-classy-prostitutes reblogged this from newtkissesboys
- oh-captain-my-captain-jack reblogged this from deer-whisperer
- ao-koshka reblogged this from jdlimon92
- ziggerr reblogged this from theblogofeternalstench
- jdlimon92 reblogged this from theknightlycynic and added:
- jdlimon92 likes this
- sweetest-venom reblogged this from sorry
- deer-whisperer reblogged this from jesatria
- perpetualhopeandlove reblogged this from theblogofeternalstench
- idonthaveaclue likes this
- seasonalabominablesnowman reblogged this from galaxysguardian
- kuzcos-buck-teeth reblogged this from itsalljustrandomnonsense
- holycowwouldyoulookatthebooty reblogged this from slowdancingwithdemons
- asillygirl likes this
- acheron91 likes this
- acheron91 reblogged this from peridotprincess
- dreuish reblogged this from darkestdecember
- thebritishminniemouse reblogged this from mishastolethetardis
- wafflesandchicken reblogged this from herecomesdeadpool
- wafflesandchicken likes this
- majinmisty likes this
- majinmisty reblogged this from herecomesdeadpool
- peridotprincess reblogged this from a-straight-rainbow
- herecomesdeadpool reblogged this from teacuprevelry