Jack was employed into service for the East India Trading Company and was given command of the Wicked Wench. However, after he set free a cargo of slaves, his employer, Cutler Beckett, had Jack branded as a pirate and the Wench set aflame and sunk. After failing to rescue the Wench, Sparrow struck a bargain with the ghostly captain of the Flying Dutchman, Davy Jones, to resurrect his beloved vessel. Jones returned the ship to Jack in near perfect condition except for the permanently charred hull. This prompted Jack to rename her the Black Pearl.
I DIDN’T KNOW THIS WHAT.
danged sympathetic fictional pirates and their refusal to engage in the slave trade, I’ll tell you what
well hot damn.
Really? Interesting! Too bad most Hollyweird Producers don’t get that you can’t add depth of context with CGI. Story? Matters.
Well, fuck me! Now this just makes me upset that this wasn’t mentioned in the movies, yo.
They only made reference to it in that blink-and-you’ll-miss-it scene in the gifset (I’m brainfarting on whether it was DMC or AWE). There were YA books that were actually pretty decently written and added a lot of interesting backstory, that’s where you find out the story behind Jack’s falling out with Beckett and how he became a pirate.
Jack is also a mixed race man of color but they don’t get into that in the movies either except for a gross shrunken head joke in At World’s End that his dad made.
- spaacexual reblogged this from beansterpie
- thecmaw reblogged this from shigeako
- alvarez371 likes this
- el-lanzador-verde reblogged this from martyrdom-the-sixth-faction
- el-lanzador-verde likes this
- museofcrazy reblogged this from mehshania
- museofcrazy likes this
- b0rn--t0--di3 reblogged this from cumbersassmasterbatch
- indeterminadasverdades likes this
- b0rn--t0--di3 likes this
- justmeholly reblogged this from spagoots
- nyehwweh likes this
- rynmarlon likes this
- flareblade2000 likes this
- spaghettistainedundies reblogged this from beansterpie
- vvardoctor likes this
- headless-horse-man reblogged this from mehshania
- hots4hobbits reblogged this from cumbersassmasterbatch
- xkitkatkittyx reblogged this from monobearcoffee
- xkitkatkittyx likes this
- weirdnessisthenewblack reblogged this from beansterpie
- martinfreemanseyebrows reblogged this from beansterpie
- mehshania reblogged this from arvintang
- mehshania likes this
- cumbersassmasterbatch reblogged this from shercasm
- fantabulousblonde reblogged this from toolatenight
- you-have-been-garthed likes this
- fantabulousblonde likes this
- surfer-mentality reblogged this from beansterpie
- you-have-been-garthed reblogged this from shercasm
- ermichaels likes this
- oneluckyshmee reblogged this from shireattire
- crowley-at-221b-tardis-street reblogged this from archivistofnerddom
- contrick likes this
- sharpenthegenius reblogged this from beansterpie
- sharpenthegenius likes this
- nichole-marye reblogged this from pikachu-patronus
- contrick reblogged this from pseudotrue
- 0aklungs likes this
- hi-imreginaphalange reblogged this from pimpunderthemountain
- iamnotanoatmeal likes this
- iamnotanoatmeal reblogged this from allowmetoslytherin
- the-game-mrs-hudson-is-on reblogged this from shercasm
- hardisonhasabatcave reblogged this from occult-cupcakes
- mysecretsdontmakefriends reblogged this from totallynotmisha
- timey-wimey-thingy reblogged this from myspiralboundnotebook
- creditmyweakheart likes this
- falling-u-cant-catch reblogged this from werner-norton
- falling-u-cant-catch likes this
- bethanykoprovic likes this