Jack was employed into service for the East India Trading Company and was given command of the Wicked Wench. However, after he set free a cargo of slaves, his employer, Cutler Beckett, had Jack branded as a pirate and the Wench set aflame and sunk. After failing to rescue the Wench, Sparrow struck a bargain with the ghostly captain of the Flying Dutchman, Davy Jones, to resurrect his beloved vessel. Jones returned the ship to Jack in near perfect condition except for the permanently charred hull. This prompted Jack to rename her the Black Pearl.
I DIDN’T KNOW THIS WHAT.
danged sympathetic fictional pirates and their refusal to engage in the slave trade, I’ll tell you what
well hot damn.
Really? Interesting! Too bad most Hollyweird Producers don’t get that you can’t add depth of context with CGI. Story? Matters.
Well, fuck me! Now this just makes me upset that this wasn’t mentioned in the movies, yo.
They only made reference to it in that blink-and-you’ll-miss-it scene in the gifset (I’m brainfarting on whether it was DMC or AWE). There were YA books that were actually pretty decently written and added a lot of interesting backstory, that’s where you find out the story behind Jack’s falling out with Beckett and how he became a pirate.
Jack is also a mixed race man of color but they don’t get into that in the movies either except for a gross shrunken head joke in At World’s End that his dad made.
- barbiebatgirl reblogged this from i-think-its-catchy
- sierra-elm reblogged this from uriahslapdance
- sierra-elm likes this
- elrohira reblogged this from fetch-me-a-block
- gleekoutwithharmony reblogged this from fetch-me-a-block
- andasax likes this
- gleekoutwithharmony likes this
- pacifyallthemonsters reblogged this from redhands-redhair
- casanova-frankensteins-monster reblogged this from talesofthestarshipregeneration
- iamthebelugawhale likes this
- aramblingfancy likes this
- talesofthestarshipregeneration reblogged this from tariqk
- erin-alexis-farley reblogged this from her0inchic
- bomblikedeanthom reblogged this from uriahslapdance
- livinginafandomoffantasy likes this
- livinginafandomoffantasy reblogged this from fetch-me-a-block
- uriahslapdance reblogged this from fetch-me-a-block
- transcendtoexcellence reblogged this from in-a-sweater-poorly-knit
- rhaeneris likes this
- tariqk reblogged this from rabbitinthewoods
- fetch-me-a-block reblogged this from ladyofdurin
- superbutterbuns reblogged this from shezzalenko
- stopwearingheels likes this
- reyminasoul likes this
- redhands-redhair reblogged this from 221bbarricade
- disappearify reblogged this from meulin-in-the-deep
- p-nguyen19 reblogged this from thesoundofcrazies
- gafftapeandstring reblogged this from fordeisbored
- madzelle-rouge likes this
- chr1st0ph3r9 reblogged this from jessjasper
- cannibalanimals likes this
- shezzalenko reblogged this from damaera
- alohahn likes this
- lovenormarenata reblogged this from bonkasaurus
- misakikaito reblogged this from moonrose91
- lovenormarenata likes this
- grimmjowscroissant likes this
- mistresstophat likes this
- they-might-be-titans reblogged this from jeansfaithinhumanitys
- damaera likes this
- damaera reblogged this from jeansfaithinhumanitys
- theowlsfox reblogged this from tacosandcatsarelife
- owl-in-an-oak-tree reblogged this from sherllamalock
- lightninging likes this
- alimarieblog likes this
- tannerthanthou likes this
- tannerthanthou reblogged this from knightsofthetemplauren
- dont-fly-soar reblogged this from bonkasaurus
- atouchofwhimsy reblogged this from zombietokkaneerstuckinthetardis
- atouchofwhimsy likes this