If there’s one thing I’m grateful for very suddenly, is that my mother and family didn’t let me have any fairy tale books with white people in them, white dolls, or even a white jesus in our house. She made sure that I was surrounded by toys that were either animals or dark skinned dolls so that I would always know that I was very beautiful.
I liked my hair best when it was natural or in braids when I was a kid and I thought my chocolate skin was gorgeous. My mom made sure that I knew it was and she made sure that I took care of both my skin and hair. When other kids told me I was “too dark” I would just ignore them because I thought I was the cutest thing on the playground.
Fred Crump Jr was a staple of story time in our house and all the princesses were black with kinky hair or braids. Thank you, Fred Crump Jr, you reiterated what my mother and I already knew about ourselves. You helped me stay confident from the pictures you illustrated in your books when I couldn’t read and fromthe stories you retold when I could. You helped me grow from a little black princess to a gorgeous black queen.
Wherever you are out there, keep making these books so little girls know they’re beautiful chocolate princesses that will grow up to be queens.
This. I love these books as a kid. So grateful my parents had them around the house.
I got curious about the artist and found this post in tribute to him, from a former student of his, and there’re comments which further elaborate on him:
He told me how he was initially inspired to create the books when two African American girls came to him and told him there were no books for them at the school bookfair other than books on Michael Jackson and Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
WHERE WERE THESE AT WHEN I WAS GROWING UP?
- bleachmypussyhairs reblogged this from likeitalics and added:
- red-hunting-cap likes this
- red-hunting-cap reblogged this from fandomsandfeminism
- chanclavoladora reblogged this from fandomsandfeminism
- rozhanitsa likes this
- hellosomegirl reblogged this from clarissacranemills
- hellosomegirl likes this
- clarissacranemills reblogged this from girljanitor
- motherblade reblogged this from grrlyman
- motherblade likes this
- unuccellinoblucobalto likes this
- sharklings reblogged this from grrlyman
- griffinfire likes this
- gmoogy likes this
- emo-sweetheart likes this
- kaleyjohnson reblogged this from retsyboss
- kaleyjohnson likes this
- retsyboss reblogged this from thegoddamazon
- doestheuniversehateme reblogged this from fandomsandfeminism
- abiisoul reblogged this from ashajazz
- rumalama likes this
- stopongreen reblogged this from feministdisney
- rainbow-rex likes this
- genociderscissors likes this
- eusinelaughingalonewithsuicune reblogged this from eat-the-alphas
- nerdycrochet likes this
- ashajazz reblogged this from thelastresortthelastthought
- lizbbnk reblogged this from feministdisney
- gor-geous-poison reblogged this from supernatasha
- withhisflamingsword likes this
- supernatasha reblogged this from femmedunoir
- freakazette42 reblogged this from fandomsandfeminism
- taco-fornication likes this
- sucker420ve likes this
- soulfuljafrikan reblogged this from thelastresortthelastthought
- soulfuljafrikan likes this
- thelastresortthelastthought reblogged this from raphaelfreko and added:
- karatebanger likes this
- raphaelfreko reblogged this from blackinamerica
- raphaelfreko likes this
- talesofthebandit reblogged this from blackinamerica
- blackinamerica reblogged this from lovelifelaurennn
- abstractionoftheself likes this
- greenrangerpower13 reblogged this from cerebrallotuslibrary
- greenrangerpower13 likes this
- chocolate-stars reblogged this from femmedunoir
- valexiastarlander likes this
- pasta-butt likes this
- satindolldc reblogged this from posttragicmulatto and added:
- sangredulce likes this